Record keeping for cryptocurrency
It is vital to keep good records for all your transactions with cryptocurrency, whether you are using cryptocurrency as an investment, for personal use or in business.
You need to keep the following records in relation to your cryptocurrency transactions:
- the date of the transactions
- the value of the cryptocurrency in Australian dollars at the time of the transaction (which can be taken from a reputable online exchange)
- what the transaction was for and who the other party was (even if it’s just their cryptocurrency address).
The sorts of records you should keep include:
- receipts of purchase or transfer of cryptocurrency
- exchange records
- records of agent, accountant and legal costs
- digital wallet records and keys
- software costs related to managing your tax affairs
Keeping good records will make it easier to calculate and meet your tax obligations, and if you are in business, record keeping will assist you to manage your cash flow and see how your business is doing.
Expert Tax can assist with reporting of crypto transactions on your tax return. Contact us on 0449 952 855 or 1300 869 829 for assistance.